20070523

Early Retirees

For three years Mazurka has had cheap plastic lawn chairs on the fly bridge. A few weeks back, in rough weather when somebody went toppling over, Mark started looking for something sturdier. We bought two of the popular gravity chairs, the ones where you lean back and the legs come up, the kind you could sleep in, if you wanted. Last night we made dinner and sat out in the chairs with our feet up, as the sun went down, watching over our toes the traffic on LSD, the bikers and runners and roller bladers and dog walkers.


“This is exactly what my parents do,” I said, startled to realize I was becoming my mother. “They sit on their porch and watch the traffic go by.”

“Most people do this when they retire,” Mark said.

I am 32 years old; Mark is 44. What will we do when we are 65?

No comments: